Sunday 27 November 2011

Lovin', Touchin', Stealin'...

Just a little, well, big whine, I was radio-hopping when I heard a snippet of a Mumford And Sons song on the station, to my surprise, it was my nemesis, Radio 1. I had heard of Mumford And Sons when their debut album, Sigh No More, came out in 2009, yet the philistines on Radio 1 had pretended as though all of them at that radio station had their ear to the ground for ages and had known this band for a while, becuase of the "up and coming West London Folk Scene." I appreciate that Radio 1 are trying to expand their taste of music and play some good stuff, but I really hate it when everybody starts raving about a band that have been making music for a while but yet they pretend it is a new song. Even worse is when a big artist covers a great song and then everybody starts bloviating about the original and the cover. An example is that of Journey's Dont Stop Believin'. Now many say it is a naff, boring song but I beg to differ. I sense a possible digression here so I shall, to use that naff phrase coined by Hal Roach, cut to the chase. Glee covered this an now everyone loves the song, I'm not being a poncy idiot but I wish people listened to originals rather than covers because the Glee version is awful. Another thing, these days people associate Journey with Dont Stop Belivin' yet if they listened to some albums of theirs, they woudl appreciate how brilliant a band they are, Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' and Any Way You Want It are anthemic belters which deserve to be recognised.